Sea Time & Skills
2023 Course Offerings
Gain more experience sailing. No exams to write, just hands-on sailing! Contact us to find out more and to book your course today!
Sea Time & Skills - Eastern Lake Ontario only.
A great way to add to your sailing experience.
This course is designed to offer sailors of any level more experience sailing. The focus of the course is on skill development, refinement and knowledge with accrual of sea time in a hands-on, interactive format. There are no formal examinations or evaluations.
The student(s) will develop increased independence in vessel handling and decision making, improved communication and teamwork abilities, undertaking a variety of roles and responsibilities
This course is offered in half-day, full-day or multi-day formats and all time on-the-water is recorded and verified in the student's personal sailing log. Pricing will vary.
Sea Time & Skills Course can include the following emphasis, and be tailored to meet individual student's goals:
- Review/reinforce safety-related procedures and practices, including decision making regarding departure made with due regard for actual/predicted weather/sea state
- Review/reinforce pre-departure checklist
- Review key vessel systems/undertake systems checks
- Determine departure procedures and direct/enact
- Leave dock safely and expeditiously
- Handle vessel appropriately under power and sail with due regard for safety and adherence to the collision regulations and acknowledging/using appropriately any and all aids to navigation encountered
- Raise and lower sail appropriately and effectively
- Sail the vessel effectively with appropriate attention to points of sail, sail trim, line control, communication, decision-making and safe vessel handling
- Maneuver appropriately around other vessels encountered with due regard for collision avoidance and appropriate actions as defined by the Collision Regulations
- Demonstrate/reinforce appropriate decision-making related to changing/worsening of weather and winds, including, but not limited to, reducing sail area and returning to dock